The Artesian Story
A history like no other.
In 1906, Sulphur Springs entrepreneurs J.M. Bayless and C.J. Webster opened the elegant New Winston Hotel – later renamed The Artesian Hotel – after abandoning construction on another luxury project in 1904. After more than 50 years of popularity with upscale clientele, The Artesian was destroyed by a fire on January 14, 1962.
The business was reborn as the understated Artesian Motor Hotel, but never reclaimed its former vibrancy and fashionable appeal. The Chickasaw Nation purchased and renamed the hotel the Chickasaw Motor Inn in 1972, making it the first business owned and operated solely by the tribe. The inn was demolished in 2006 to make way for a new version of The Artesian Hotel, Casino and Spa, which opened its doors in 2013. The rebuild matches the size and elegance of the original hotel with comfort and amenities to satisfy every need of the modern traveler.
The Chickasaw Nation establishes territory on the land surrounding the Seven Sisters Springs near present-day Sulphur, Oklahoma.
The Chickasaw Nation forges an agreement to sell their land and move onto the new Sulphur Springs Reservation. All buildings from the original Sulphur Springs settlement are purchased by the government and settlers are given a deadline to vacate.
The National Park Service extends the land boundaries of the Sulphur Springs Reservation by 218 acres and the city relocates for a second time to its north and south borders. Bayless and Webster abandon construction on The Bland and sell the building and its surrounding property to the government.
Platt National Park merges with the Arbuckle National Recreation Area to become the Chickasaw National Recreational Area.
As part of the Chickasaw Nation’s “Phoenix Project” in the Sulphur area, The Chickasaw Motor Inn is cleared to begin construction on the new Artesian Hotel.
Construction on the new hotel and spa begins with a groundbreaking ceremony.